Hard to believe that a full month of the MLB season is already in the books. Most baseball diehards know that what happens in April often means very little come September. There’s always a hott team in April that isn’t expected to hang around all year. On the other side of the coin, many teams struggle out of the gate but gain momentum as the year goes on to get competitive…
at least, that’s what all of Red Sox Nation is hoping for.
In fantasy baseball, the game is similar. Several players who are historically great and reliable struggle in the early months. Also, many journeyman players that you’ve never heard of before light up the box scores every night.
Figuring out who’s April numbers are a phase and are for real is critical to being successful all season. Considering the fact that 65% of your competition is going to quit on their team sometime in the next month, picking up their broken pieces by trade or via the waiver wire could likely be the difference in making the fantasy baseball postseason – and maintaining a fake MLB roster for 23 weeks for nothing.
Read on below for our April Fantasy Baseball MVP, Cy Young, five April shockers who are for real and five April busts to buy low.
- April MVP: Andre Ethier, Los Angeles Dodgers. Didn’t steal any bases, but batted .380 with 10 homers, 30 RBI, and 18 runs scored. If he is available for any reason in your league (still available in 4% of leagues on Yahoo!) then you should grab him. No question. Whenever the Dodgers can’t count on ManRam, Ethier is there trying to keep the team alive.
- April Cy Young: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies. I had the opportunity to catch Halladay’s complete game shutout gem last Saturday against the anemic New York Mets lineup. Since he’s playing for a winner, has more than adequate run support, and has the benefit of facing a pitcher at the plate every third inning, there’s no question that Halladay is the no. 1 pitcher in fantasy baseball. He won 5 games last month with 39 strikeouts in 49 innings, good for a 1.47 ERA and 0.92 WHIP.
Five April Shockers Who Are For Real:
- Austin Jackson, Detroit Tigers
- Francisco Liriano, Minnesota Twins
- Ricky Romero, Toronto Blue Jays
- Brett Gardner, New York Yankees
- Andruw Jones, Chicago White Sox
Five April Busts To Buy Low:
- Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees
- Johan Santana, New York Mets
- Josh Beckett, Boston Red Sox
- Victor Martinez, Boston Red Sox
- Aramis Ramirez, Chicago Cubs