Due to bad weather in New York City, The Yankees – Toronto Blue Jays game has been delayed. The only other game with a 1:00 p.m. start is the Kansas City Royals – Detroit Tigers matchup at Comerica Park in Detroit.
The Yankees game should start sometime after 2:00 p.m. Until then, here’s some notes about the Detroit Tigers, BatBoy BeeZee’s pick to represent the AL in the 2008 World Series.
- Tigers shortstop Edgar Renteria will be leading off until Curtis Granderson returns from the DL. Granderson broke his finger March 22 but should be back in Mid-April. If you have Granderson, get him on your DL and add a player.
- Carlos Guillen is starting the season at first base, but will maintain full-season eligibility at shortstop. Once he has first base eligibility in all leagues (which he should by the end of April), his trade value will greatly improve.
- Replacing Granderson in CF – at least on Opening Day – is Brandon Inge. Unless you are in a deep AL-only league, find another outfielder (preferably one with some speed) to replace Granderson on your team. He bats at the bottom of the Tigers lineup and could provide some run support, but not much in the way of average (.236 in 2007), speed, or power (14 homeruns in ’07).
- Gary Sheffield is batting third for the Tigers, which greatly improves his fantasy value in the stacked Tigers lineup. If he continues to bat third, he will be a great source of runs scored in 2008.
- Ivan Rodriguez led all batters in Spring Training with eight homeruns.